Monday, April 5, 2010

CULINARY MONDAY- Pierogi & Beignet

I trust everyone had a wonderful Easter. We certainly did. There were 13 here. We feasted on our traditional Ukrainian/ Russian/ Polish fair.
There was Kielbasa Sausage, Stuffed Beignet with toppings of strawberries, sour cream & maple syrup, Chive & Potato stuffed Pierogi's, Bagels & Lox with Cream Cheese, Honey & Brown Sugar glazed Ham, Sausage Egg & Cheese Casserole, Deviled Eggs, Coconut Cake & a wonderful Bread Pudding with Bourbon Glaze from my neighbor's (Bill & Kayla) who shared Easter with us this year. We also had a friend of my husbands (Jeff Leo) who shared the holiday as well. It was a fabulous time had by all. But the most fun was having the grands here! They loved their special table (that was changed up a bit from the pictures) and we loved seeing them hunting for the 100+ eggs hidden in our front yard.

BEIGNET-(ben YEY) (not to be mistaken with the traditional New Orleans deep fried Beignet) A European thin egg crepe. Made with whole eggs, flour, sugar & milk. It is made by pouring the beaten batter in a hot buttered pan whirling around until it coats the pan. It is cooked until light, fluffy & the edges just brown. It is then filled with a mixture of Farmers Cheese, egg, sugar & butter. Then the beignet is folded & returned to the pan to fry again and is then served with fresh crushed fruit, sour cream & syrup.

PIEROGI- (peh raw hee) A traditional Polish dumpling filled with savory of sweet fillings. Traditional fair is cabbage, potatoes, sauteed onions, cheeses, sauerkraut, plums, blueberries & mincemeat's. The dumplings are filled and then pinched together much like a wonton. They are then placed in boiling, salted water to cook. Sometimes drained and pan fried in butter and served with sour cream.

7 comments:

kimberlyshaw said...

Beignet sounds yummy! It sounds like you had a wonderful Easter! Thanks for sharing the word pronunciations, too, because I have never heard of these dished before.

parTea lady said...

Your Easter feast sounds wonderful. I really miss my Polish grandmother and the delicious holiday meals that she cooked for us. Her meat filled pierogi's were the best!

Southern Touch Catering said...

parTea lady,
My husbands grandmother and mom would dpend entire weekends making the pierogis. I don't know if they ever made meat filled ones. I do have avery old Polish cook book with meat recipes though. Maybe I'll have to give them a try and we can have them for tea! Now wouldn't that be fun?

Angela McRae said...

Beignets make me want to go back to Cafe du Monde in New Orleans and have some! Yum!

Angela McRae said...

P.S. I should add that the kind you wrote about sound good too! I never met a crepe I didn't like!

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Very informative! It all sounds delicious!

Katherine

Steph said...

Thanks for clarifying! And thanks for the comment on my photo. I was at my sister's house, visiting my niece and family. :-)