Monday, March 7, 2011

RUM RAISIN BREAD PUDDING

Since having a catering business, I find I often have a lot of leftover items that must be used or thrown out. Such was the case last week. I had a lot of dinner rolls that were really not in shape to freeze (stale from sitting out) and I hated to just throw them out. So I decided to make bread pudding. Oh, yeah! It was so good.

I used three large eggs, 1 1/2 cups of milk and 1 cup of mixed sugar (brown & regular)

Beat well until blended. Next, if you have rum, add about 1/2 cup or if not (like me) add 1 -2 tsp of rum flavoring, depending on your tastes. And then add a little vanilla to round it out.
Next, butter a casserole dish and tear the bread into bite sized pieces (about 3 cups). You can also add cream cheese as I did or you can leave it out. I used about 4 oz.
I then added a cup of white raisins that I had on hand.

And then poured the milk mixture over the top. Place in a 325 degree oven and cook for about 1 hour. You'll know it's done when the center is dry and a fork comes out clean.
Doesn't this look scrumptious! It can be served as is or with warmed heavy cream and brown sugar with a little flavoring then cooked down to a syrupy consisitancy. Oh, yeah it was so good!

1 comment:

Angela McRae said...

Yummo -- and I love that you were being so thrifty with leftovers, too! (Even if yours *are* high-class leftovers!)