Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Guava-Strawberry Topping

First of all let me start by saying I LOVE guava fruit. Guava fruit are one of my most favorite fruits ever. I grew up on them as a child living in Florida. And only in the past few years have been able to find them in the grocery stores. I guess a lot of you may never have tasted or even heard of guava. Let me assure you they are a fantastic fruit! I can't even begin to describe the taste. Well a few months ago our local Publix remodeled the store and also added a lot of new items- I mean like 12,000 new items!! I have now discovered guava paste. Oh, why did I have to find this stuff?!?!? It has become a love- hate relationship! LOL!!! I LOVE to eat it- I HATE the sugar content. But hey, all good things in moderation right? Well here is a tempting, delicious, incredible topping recipe that is quick & easy- you have GOT to try this stuff!!!

Delicious Topping for Ice Cream or Pound Cake (or eating by the spoonful)
1 cup of fresh strawberries, macerated
2 tablespoons (or more) of guava paste, chopped into small pieces (this stuff is thick like candied jelly)
2/3 cup of water (more if needed)
1 tablespoon of sugar
Add all to a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook stirring constantly until all the guava paste is melted. Cool & pour over ice cream or pound cake or (just eat it right out of the pot!)


Angela McRae said...

OK, count me in! I've had guava juice but not the fruit, which sounds heavenly. Which Publix has them, by the way? Thomas Crossroads or Bullsboro, I imagine? And where is the guava paste located? Thank you!

Americana Lady @Americana By Candlelight said...

I have never had guava but it looks good! Joan

Southern Touch Catering said...

Well Angela, Bullsboro has the paste, but not the fruit at the moment. As soon as I see it out I'll let you know! YUMMMM

parTea lady said...

That guava-strawberry topping looks and sounds delicious. Thanks for the recipe.

Joyce said...

I'm getting hungry just looking at this. At FIRST I thought it was "Strawberry shortcake."
Looks very good!