Friday, July 10, 2009

American vs British Food Terminology

A few blogs back I showed a lovely new book that has all British cooking recipes. A lot of the terminology was unfamiliar to me as I'm sure is the case with most of my readers. So, I thought I would show what each term means in American terms and add a few more as well.

British to American
1 cup = 1 1/4 cups
strong flour = bread or hard- wheat flour
icing sugar = confectioners sugar
mixed spice= apple pie spices
double cream= heavy cream
banger= sausages
caster sugar= super fine granulated sugar
breakfast cup= 1 1/4 cups
cornflour= cornstarch
dessert spoon= 1 tablespoon
treacle= molasses
sultans= golden raisins
teacup= 3/4 cup
vegetable marrow= summer sqash

Now isn't that interesting. I have a lot more so if you have one you need defined let me know, maybe I'll have the answer.

1 comment:

parTea lady said...

Now that is interesting. I'd better remember the flour difference next time I try a recipe in my Delia Smith cookbook.